Home » MODDING HQ 1.13 » v1.13 General Development Talk » "1.13" Mod - Main Thread
"1.13" Mod - Main Thread[message #10164]
||Sat, 23 July 2005 02:47 |
||I started with the C++ CVS code that DeFrog so wisely ported over to C++.NET. I've located and fixed the following bugs in that code so far:
1) The Autofire/Burst bug, where you couldn't do burst fire unless the weapon also had autofire.
2) The canteen/camouflage bug, where you couldn't apply items to the merc's body.
3) The 0 AP grenade bug, where throwing grenades didn't cost any APs.
4) The 0 Min. AP cost for AI throwing grenades bug that resulted in a CTD.
5) Stuff falling through roofs (but not people)
Oh, and I also made the extended ear show the enemy location in all modes, not just Platinum.
Finally, I made the autofire shots slow down a bit too.
Using this code means that there is an external Weapons.dat (now weapons.xml) file for people to tweak the guns/weapons, and also that guns will be able switch to Auto fire mode by clicking the burst button again (right click in auto-fire mode to increase shots fired). There were some other fixes as well, but they've been documented elsewhere.
Then I went ahead and added the following features:
1) Weapons from Unfinished Business added
I added the following weapons (in addition to the regular JA2 guns):
- Barrett .50 Cal Sniper Rifle
- H&K PSG1 Sniper Rifle
- VAL Silent Sniper Rifle
- Calico M950 pistol
- Calico M960A SMG
- Calico M900 Rifle
- Enfield L85A1 LMG
- TAR 21 LMG
- Micro Uzi
And the following Ammo:
- 9mm Heavy
- .50 Cal
- 9mm Large (50)
- 9mm Large AP (50)
- 9mm Large HP (50)
Yes, I got the sucker to accept more than two ammo types per weapon No, I didn't re-order everything in the item lists to do it. No, it doesn't screw up any ammo placed on the maps.
All stats are the same as in UB, except for the Calico M950, to which I added burst-fire. (A pistol that big, with a 50-round magazine without burst fire just seemed a waste to me)
2) IMPs: Multiple IMPs & 90210 code re-enabled. UB Style IMP generation screens (Kaiden).
(IMP items configurable in xml; includes options for random items and items for any stat/specialty)
3) Externalized the following data in xml files:
- Ammo Strings / Calibers
- Compatible Face Items
- Enemy Gun Choices
- Attachment Combo Merges
- Attachment Info
- Incompatible Attachments
- Shopkeeper Inventories
- Enemy Item Choices
- IMP Item Choices
4) Added a whack of new attributes and possible bonuses to items, including:
- thermal optics
- tunnel vision
- weapon stat bonuses
- vision and hearing range bonuses
- Default attachments - created and added when item is created
- Launchables that decrease in status, instead of being removed, when a launcher's mag size > 1
- Burst & spread fire for grenade launchers
- plus many more
5) 5000 item slots!
6) Bobby Ray's sells more stuff, both quantity and variety
He's an internet shop, so he should have good variety and better inventory. BR's now sells ALL the weapons and ammo in the game, along with detonators, TNT, etc. I also bumped grenades & explosives back a bit so you'll see them earlier.
(Configurable in Items.xml)
7) New option at start: Bobby Ray Selection
The following options are available:
Normal - as original with changes from #6
Great - 2x as much inventory as normal and sells gear a bit earlier. If you look in the used section, you might find some slightly better stuff there, if you're up to fixing it.
Excellent - Great, plus has 4x as much inventory as normal and sells gear a lot earlier
Awesome - Great, plus has 10x as much inventory as normal and sells all gear from the beginning
I scrapped the platinum mode and moved the Realistic/Sci-Fi choice down to the Iron Man / Regular Saves part of the screen. Iron Man is no longer available. If you really want Iron Man mode, just don't save
New option at start: Enemy equipment drops - Normal and Everything
Obviously, if you select everything, enemies will always drop their weapons and ammo, along with some other gear.
This replaces the tons of guns option, which is now on by default.
9) Enemies can and will use new weapons
So don't be surprised if you get hit by a .50 Cal in the chest. :whoknows: but I didn't really try _that_ hard), so just speak friendly to the Madame and she'll let you in, and you can get the winking smiley (and sound fx) as per pre-gold versions.
11) Bobby Ray and Tony both sell new weapons and ammo
12) Zero stats are trainable
13) All stats are trainable up to 100
14) More stats increase for performing activities
See Snap's thread for details:
15) No loyalty penalty for inactivity
16) Minor profile tweaks:
- Len can be trained
- Shadow has a silencer (Hah! Now it doesn't work on the HK53, should I keep it there anyway or switch his gun?)
- Igor has Night Ops
- Other minor trait changes (added secondary traits to those with just one)
17) Prof1.dat - Prof4.dat
Extra prof.dat files for Easy(1) through Insane(4) difficulty. (currently all the same)
18) New difficulty level: INSANE
More enemies, more frequent and aggressive attacks on towns, more elites, higher level enemies, more frequent bursts from enemies, less starting cash
- Insane has 50% more elites than expert
- Expert has 25% more elites than normal, and 20% larger garrisons, with not just yellow shirts
I was nice and kept the elites out of Omerta
19) AI changes:
The biggest difference between this mod and regular JA2 is probably the AI:
- Enemies can now snipe you if they have a sniper scope, even if you're out of visual range, but still visible to another enemy (spotter)
- Enemies can now climb on roofs. Sometimes they will stay up there and snipe you.
- Enemies will now flank your position
- Enemies no longer get up and charge straight at you after dropping prone
- Enemies take cover more often
- Enemes can use suppression fire to try send you to the ground and make you lose APs (but not out of visual range)
- AI tweaks to reduce the number of enemies on the roofs, and make snipers only shoot when they might actually hit you
- Enemies should be less likely to come looking for you than in previous versions. This should reduce the huge, immediate carnage upon entering a sector, and provide more smaller battles instead.
- Enemies can use the new GL bursts
20) New Weapons:
I did away with the weapon limit of 69, and added the following:
- Five seveN pistol
- P7M8 pistol
- Bennelli M4 Super 90 shotgun
- HK MP-7 PDW
- Commando Mortar (in addition to regular one)
- OICW, with integrated grenade launcher and 6-shot 20mm HE mags (GL supports 2-shot bursts)
- Milkor MGL Mk.1 40mm grenade launcher (with 3-shot bursts possible)
21) Weapon changes:
- Added autofire to rifles, SMGs and LMGs (including UB weapons)
- G11 and SKS can attach Talon
- Minimi holds 200 rounds
- HK21 holds 100 rounds
- RPK holds 75 rounds
- C-7 has 3 round burst instead of 5
- Colt Commando renamed to M4A1
- L85A1 renamed to L85A2
- Pistols should all cost about 1 AP less to shoot
- MP53 renamed to HK 53, since it uses 5.56mm ammo, it also uses slightly less APs
- Sniper rifle damage upped by 10 pts each
22) New Ammo:
- 200 rd 5.56mm belt for minimi
- 100 rd 7.62mm belt for hk21
- 75 rd 5.45mm drum for RPK
- 20 rd 5.7mm mags for Five seveN (I need to clean these images up at some point)
- RPG ammo, including HE, AP and Fragmentation
- 100 rd Beta C-Mags (9mm and 5.56mm)
- 40 rd 4.6mm mag for MP-7
- mustard gas mortar shell
- 6 rd 20mm HE clip for OICW
- 6 rd cylinders (frag, smoke, stun) for MGL Mk.1
23) New Attachments
- Flash suppressor
- Reflex scope
- Reflex sight
- C-Mag adapters (9mm and 5.56mm)
24) Fallback animation added. Now enemies can fall backwards when they die.
25) Other item related changes:
- Platinum Watch + Copper Wire = Detonator - like in UB (configurable)
- Canteens can be merged (configurable)
- Silencers and flash suppressors hide muzzle flashes (configurable)
- Solid slugs in shotguns add 6.5 tiles to gun range (bumps 'em up to 20 tiles, same as SMGs) (configurable)
- Duckbill adds 4 tiles to buckshot range (configurable)
- Enemies always use sniper scopes with sniper rifles
- Mercs can wear gas masks and goggles at the same time (configurable)
- Possibility of up to 2 attachments on an enemy weapon
26) Multiple Interrupts! So now if you pass on your first chance, you can have another.
27) Interface Changes:
- Control + LMB on map inventory screen to permanently delete items w/out confirming
- Alternate + LMB on map inventory screen to sell items to the locals for 25% of their value (w/out confirming)
- UB style reveal all enemy gear when sector cleared (Kaiden)
28) Audible warnings using a previously unused merc quote when enemy tanks or rocket launchers are present
Changes in the latest, 9.23.05, release:
(From Kaiden's message on p.13)
Kaiden has also added an Ini file full of externalized settings and options. Check out his sample on p.14 of this thread
1. Shirt/pant colors now based on IMP Portrait so they don't all look alike!
2. Fixed a bug that could result in Imp not getting some gear that was setup in ImpItemChoices.XML.
1. Max Tilesets NOW 255, no code changes required for adding new tilesets
2. Breath bug has been fixed!
1. When throwing Knives, you will now stop if you see a new enemy.
2. Several LOS fixes causing a CTD game have been fixed.
3. It is now possible to drop leadership to Zero. Restriction was never neccessary and it seems to have always been this way.
4. Autofire now has same penalty as burst after the first bullet (let me know how it turns out, May be more or less than what is needed).
5. I didn't know that you only receive 15 points when you drop a skill from 35 to Zero, I didn't change it, but I put in a Constant instead of having the value hardcoded, this way it can be externalized.
In the next version:
- GL Burst cursor type toggle option
- UB Mercs added to MERC (Tex, Gaston, Stogie, Biggins)
To be added at a later date:
- externalization of explosion types, ammo types
- Get the enemies to actually use attached GLs properly
- 7.62x54r ammo
- low- to mid-power rifles
- more attachments
- EOD armour
- sniper enhancement of some sort
- better inventory management
- vehicle inventories
- ambient sound effects
- editor exe (if possible)
- higher resolutions
- new animations
Download the latest version (09.23.05) here: http://members.shaw.ca/madd_mugsy/mods.html
ETA of next release: very soon
Major thanks to Kaiden for helping out with coding and taking over the source for me while my time is limited.
A big thanks to Khor, Police, Blavor, Lochmacher, Scorpion, darkThor, flybyu, Snap, ratbag, Omega, wil473, gpmg, DurtyDan, grindedstone, John Wright and everyone else for helping me test this mod, and providing me with images, stats, debugging help, code snippets & ideas. This is truly a great community effort. :cheers:
(some images borrowed from Shady Job, UC and NightOps)
- Madd Mugsy
Re: "1.13" Mod - Main Thread[message #10168]
||Mon, 25 July 2005 07:52 |
Location: Oregon, USA
||Just some feedback...
Thanks for taking the time to make this mod. These changes are exactly what this game needed from the beginning. All the features combine to completely change the play strategy, something that most mods lack.
I am trying out a game with the hardest difficulty, all equipment drops, and the second option on Bobbyray's. On the insane level, it is difficult just to hold on to Drassen, but not because of a lack of equipment. It is day 8 now and I have a .50 barrett, VAL, PSG, assorted G41s and AK74s, and UV goggles. I was tired of most of the AIM mercs, so I tried it with 5 custom Mercs from the beginning, so I could choose their stats and bonuses (using the IMP generated numbers as a starting place). I highly recommend it. I gave them Mini-14s initially, which made the blackshirts in Omerta manageable (I own one, so why can't a mercinary bring one to a war zone??).
Just one suggestion- tweak the ammo for the larger capacity boxes/belts in the machineguns. This would finally give credit to the dominating power of a machinegun in the light infantry fight, something that JA has always lacked. The autofire mode is great, but it can eat up the ammo. A longer sustained rate of fire is the real advantage to a machinegun.
For me, I am happy with the other tweaks the way they are.
Again, Great Job
Re: "1.13" Mod - Main Thread[message #10169]
||Mon, 25 July 2005 09:02 |
Location: Tacoma, WA US
||I am currently playing the mod on expert and must say that it is working very well. Only one problem I've encountered so far: If you try to order from Bobby Ray's while team 1 is at the airport then the items are mostly sold out (one or two guns, ammo, etc.). This is with the highest availability setting. Also, when you try (haven't yet) to import your merc into UB, which IMP does it take? I only ask because the profile emails that IMP sends all had the same Merc (last one made).
Again, great mod. This last bit is not needed, but would be appreciated; Could you make a checkbox for bloodcats? If I'm playing Sci-Fi, I expect the bugs and I can decide whether or not to have them in a game from the onset. Why not the same with bloodcats? They are pesky and, at early levels, downright disasterous! (I think that there is a "quest" to kill them off, but have never done so, maybe I'll stick with that).
Re: "1.13" Mod - Main Thread[message #10170]
||Tue, 26 July 2005 00:38 |
Location: Oregon, USA
||One quick bug. Not sure if this is something specific to this mod or not. There is constant and repeatable crash-to-desktop when facing some blackshirt enemies. I believe it is when they are trying to fire a LAW.
Re: "1.13" Mod - Main Thread[message #10171]
||Tue, 26 July 2005 01:39 |
Originally posted by DurtyDan:Thanks, I'll look into this. I'm guessing that it's either the original code or the CVS code that's causing this error. I also get CTDs sometimes when an explosive/grenade goes off. Maybe these are related issues... Actually, you know what? Post/send me your crash log, and I'll compare it to mine.
One quick bug. Not sure if this is something specific to this mod or not. There is constant and repeatable crash-to-desktop when facing some blackshirt enemies. I believe it is when they are trying to fire a LAW.
Omega pointed this one out to me too, right after I had uploaded the new version. I fixed it and re-uploaded right away, so try downloading and installing the mod again, and bobby ray's should be re-stocking items once the game advances to a new day.
I'll look into the bloodcat stuff soon.
Right now, I'm looking into editing the tactical AI. My goal is to add AI to flank your position and snipe you from the roofs. If anyone has any great ideas on how to do this, feel free to let me know
Re: "1.13" Mod - Main Thread[message #10178]
||Wed, 27 July 2005 18:18 |
Location: Tacoma, WA US
||Can we work it backwards? What steps are taken to have an enemy fire? (formulae used to determine aim, stats, weapon use/preference). Is it a specific weapon that triggers this? I can only theorize as I cannot code my way outta a paper bag.
Re: "1.13" Mod - Main Thread[message #10190]
||Sun, 31 July 2005 03:03 |
||Amazing work, Madd.
Any plans to update the AI?
The militia AI needs a lot of work. Would also be nice if enemies(and allies) would use cover more often. Looking forward to seeing those flanking maneuvers.
Re: "1.13" Mod - Main Thread[message #10191]
||Sun, 31 July 2005 10:39 |
Location: eugene, oregon U.S.A.
||There is some good stuff in this mod. I would like to see enemies able to climb roofs. They could do this in the German beta version, but somehow this was removed from the final release. I was playing this version of the game a while back and it was fun to have enemies come on the the rooftops after my snipers.
Re: "1.13" Mod - Main Thread[message #10194]
||Sun, 31 July 2005 23:57 |
||hello Madd Muggsy
i`ve been reading this and it seems most interesting to me. not yet had the time to give it a thorough testting though
i have a couple of questions
(if you don`t mind)
is the exe new compiled or did you work with code-insertion? i mean, will editors such as weedit and proedit-add on still work with it?
i ask because your exe seems great, however the UB weapons and other "generic" ja2 stuff might need some reworking if i want to base a mod on this exe (if you`d allow it of course)
i`ll follow this. Some very nice ideas in here
Re: "1.13" Mod - Main Thread[message #10199]
||Mon, 01 August 2005 14:52 |
||Sounds good! Can't wait to try out the new AI code. Very happy to see someone working on improving the AI. Unfortunately the site is down though.
Tried playing your last version with just IMP mercs and the game became very unstable. Wanted to try the game with generic characters instead of mercs so that I don't feel so bad every time I lose someone.
Edit: You could try hosting the file on Rapidshare. Shaw looks very unstable for you.
|Pages (19): [1 ]
Current Time: Sun Jul 05 20:00:52 EEST 2020
Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01588 seconds